We always recommend pre-treating any new mask before using it for the first time. It is important to pre-treat your new masks to help minimize fogging. Use the following steps to pre-treat your new masks.
- Take a thimble-sized amount of common white non-gritty, non-minty toothpaste and rub it on both sides of the lens while the lens is dry. Avoid gel toothpastes.
- With clean fingers, give it a good circular rubbing motion and cover the entire lens on both sides.
- Rinse the lens with clean water to wash away the toothpaste. Use more water pressure or a wet washcloth to clean difficult areas.
- Completely dry the lens with a clean towel or rag.
- Repeat the steps above a few times drying the lens off each time.
This is the pre-treatment process that we use. It's pretty simple and definitely worth doing. There is nothing worse than a mask fogging up on you while snorkeling or scuba diving.
For a video demonstration on how to pre-treat a new mask, watch the video below. Be sure to subscribe to our YouTube channel for more how-to videos like this.